Two Trees Artist Subsidy Program by Maryam Daghmoumi
Apr 04, 2017 affordable housing,art spaces,arts,brooklyn,brooklyn artists,dumbo,Maryam Daghmoumi,two trees artist subsidy program
The 2017 awardee’s for Two Trees’ Artist Subsidy Program were just recently announced! Twelve artists and two local art organizations have been selected, based on their commitment to community engagement, social impact and quality of work, to benefit from reduced rents in Dumbo for their studios and work spaces. For those of you who would like to apply for 2018 program, please click below, after reviewing the following details:
Who is eligible?
Eligibility is open to arts, education, and community focused groups. Professional artists with a strong exhibition history are also eligible to apply.
What are the selection criteria?
Organizations will be evaluated with focus placed on their level of community engagement and social impact. Preference will be given to 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations that concentrate on arts, education, or community advocacy and programming, as well as organizations that demonstrate clarity of vision and a history of successful programming in support of their mission, regardless of non-profit status. Professional artists with a strong exhibition history or community focused practice are also eligible.
What types of spaces are available?
The spaces available through the Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program are commercial office and studio spaces located in DUMBO. Most have high ceilings and natural light. All spaces have access to freight elevators, communal conference rooms and high-speed internet. Spaces awarded range from 700 – 2,500 rsf.
Are there any restrictions or limitations on use of the space?
- Grantees must maintain an active professional practice (i.e. the space may not be used for storage or sublet to other groups/individuals).
- Use of highly toxic chemicals, welding, or high-powered electrical equipment is prohibited.
- Conducting illegal activities is grounds for immediate termination.
- Living in Two Trees commercial spaces is strictly prohibited.
What are the lease terms?
- Leases granted will be for three (3) years. There is no renewal option, however, tenants may re-apply at the end of their term.
- Tenant to pay all applicable common charges and utilities.
- Tenant must obtain limited liability insurance for the duration of their lease.
How much is the rent?
The Two Trees Cultural Space Subsidy Program offers a reduced rate of $12/RSF per year.
What is the application process?
Candidates must submit an application with support materials here.