Prospect Park’s Goat Welcoming Celebration
Apr 26, 2017 brooklyn events,goat welcoming,goats,party,prospect park,prospect park alliance,prospect park events,sheep wooling
Many visited or heard about the Prospect Park goats that were brought in from Upstate New York to clear out some vegetation. After eating up bunches and bunches of grass they moved back upstate for the winter but will be back in May! The Prospect Park Alliance will be throwing a party to welcome them back on May 21st from 1pm-4pm at the Lefferts Historic House. This event is free and open to the public but you must register here. Read the activity line-up below.
- Wool Carding and Drop Spindle, 1– 4 pm: Learn how to card wool using special tools and how to spin with a drop spindle.
- Spinning Demonstrations, 1–4 pm: Come and meet our resident Spinner, Catherine Conrad and see how she spins wool fibers into thread.
- Parade from the Zoo, 1:30 pm: Join Lefferts staff on a parade from the Zoo
- Felt Balls, 2–4 pm: After the wool is washed and carded, you can try your hand at making a felt ball. Use the wood fibers to shape a ball and see if you can make it bounce!
- Wool Washing, 2–4 pm: After the fleece is shorn from the sheep, the next step is washing it! Help staff clean the fleece and get it ready for felt balls and spinning!